This next recipe that I am sharing with you today has been an old favourite of mine for years
I am not sure when I first started eating it exactly, but I have a small recollection that I nabbed a similar recipe from a Rosemary Conley diet book (dear me!) when I first set out on losing my weight all those years ago. Many years on, it is still a weekly staple!
The nice thing about this meal is that it is extremely quick, it tastes good and includes a nice hefty hunk of protein as well as a good serving of a variety of vegetables.
The original recipe called for ‘BBQ Sauce’ to be squirted allll over the thing. The ingredients of such requirement are not terrible but unfortunately do not fit with suggested dietary habits. Therefore I have also concocted a home-made diet friendly bbq sauce which can be used on just about anything as well as this dish. It is by no means perfect, but it gives the dish some good flavour none the less!
When it comes to being served, I actually now tend to eat 2 sticks as a snack, so you will see that I actually served it with nothing, however spicy sweet potato wedges post workout would be a great accompaniment or cauliflower mash would be a great anytime alternative.
These bad boys are grilled, but would taste a lot better a la BBQ if the weather is right!
BBQ Chicken Kebabs
- 2 organic chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- ½ courgette
- 6 baby tomatoes on the vine
- 4 mushrooms
- Tomato puree
- White wine vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Chilli Powder
- Onion Powder
- Crushed Garlic
- Begin by dicing the chicken, and chopping the vegetables into a variety of different shaped and sized chunks…just for fun
- Fetch your skewers (wood or steel) and gradually feed the ingredients down the stick. You can arrange it how you like. I tend to do 2 vegetable chunks for every chicken chunk
- Once skewered allow to sit in the fridge whilst you prepare the bbq marinade
- Mix tomato puree, white wine vinegar, olive oil, chilli powder, onion pwder and crushed garlic together and stir vigourously. No need to ad measurements of each, simply experiement until you get a bbq-esque taste.
- Once the marinade is prepared, smother it upon your skewered kebabs you prepared earlier
- If you have the time, allow to marinade for 30 minutes in the fridge
- Switch on the grill or bbq and add the kebabs to the rack
- Allow to cook, constantly rotating to ensure thourough cooking. 20 minutes of cooking with rotation every few minutes should do the trick.
- Serve, and add any remaining marinade to your delicious skewers of joy